There was always this problem on Slackware, usually you could only work with USB at the time.

I never cared about this, but since I have this Sony Ericsson W810i, and I’m on Slackware, which doesn’t even read one USB slot without you adding it. So I added one, to use it for my memory stick, but then when I plugged in my phone, which is ought to read phone memory and its memory card memory, it would only read phone memory.

I had no idea how to solve this, I was especially confused because my disk is read as sda1, so I figured my USB will be marked as sdb1, sdb2, etc… But no, they should be read as sdb1, sdc1, sdd1 and etc…


So today I piss out, and figure out to do it, more cuz of a challenge, rather then cuz I really needed to alter files on my Walkman.

So what I did, Googled a bit, of course didn’t find anything. So I figured why not, add those dev letters (/dev/sdb1, /dev/sdc1, /dev/sdd1) to my fstab, which I did and added them to /mnt/sdbc1 /mnt/sdd1 as that. Changed permissions, and hey it worked! So I added all 4, and they all worked, hardcore USB orgy :)


All present disks in action :)

This is all cool and all cuz I still need to mount and umount and edit/copy/move etc… file via the console, cuz in GUI it doesn’t really work … I don’t mind, some people might, I tried looking at Mandriva’s fstab, and it really didn’t help at all, it didn’t have one single USB. entry. But I’m not sure if I’ll even look how to do it, since I like the manual and console way better then completely GUI way :)

How mount/umount/edit/add/remove/etc… looks like (for now :)